Paternity and Father's Rights

A Court Order is Required to Establish Paternity and the Rights and Responsibilities for Fathers of Children Born Out of Wedlock

When a child is born outside of marriage, the father of the child must be established through a court order. Without a court order of paternity, the father does not have legal rights to his child. Once paternity is court-ordered, the father of the child has parental rights to his children, including rights to have custody, legal decision-making, and parenting time.

Mothers and Fathers Benefit from Establishing Paternity

At the Law Office of Merle L. Stolar, P.L.L.C., attorney Stolar has experience representing parents on both sides of the issue of paternity,

Issues Involving Paternity are as Follows:

  • You are a man who has a paternity suit brought against you
  • You are not sure if you are the father of a child and require DNA testing
  • You are a father who wants to be able to see his child who was born out of wedlock
  • You are a mother who has had a child outside of marriage, and want to establish paternity
  • You are a mother who wants to establish child support for your child who was born out of wedlock

Establishing paternity is beneficial for parents who have been in a long-term relationship or for parents who have never lived together and who have children together out of wedlock. A court order of paternity gives the father rights to be with his children (parenting time) and to make important decisions regarding his children, which include medical and educational issues. When paternity is established, the child acquires rights of inheritance as well.

For more information about working with a Tucson attorney with experience with paternity issues, call Merle Stolar at (520) 628-7777, Extension 163, or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.